I have always found being surrounded by nature’s beauty to be both soothing and invigorating. I love the effect it has on me and enjoy translating those emotions through color, light, and form into a permanent work of art to share with others.
When I paint an animal’s portrait for a client, I enjoy capturing their companion’s personality and spirit to connect them to the love they have for their pet every time they see it.
Pastels are an especially dynamic medium— allowing me to mix colors directly on the surface of my paintings, each layer getting me closer to what I want. I appreciate their versatility and the ability to capture everything from bold colors and broad strokes to subtle shades and little details.
Award-winning artist Mandy Roeing resides in Downs, Illinois with her husband, Jason, and their two daughters, Kahlan and Jordan. She graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2004 with a BFA in studio art. Mandy began her art career in 2001, when her love of animals and passion for painting merged through commissioned pet portraits. She has become known for her ability to capture the individual personality and spirit of animals, as well as an accurate likeness. To learn more about Mandy’s pet portraits, click here.
The beauty and tranquility found in nature are Mandy’s biggest inspiration. She enjoys painting landscapes and seascapes, especially when she has the opportunity to work on location.
All of Mandy’s paintings are done in soft pastels, a versatile medium that exemplifies the attention to detail and excellent rendering skills that draw viewers to her work.
She is the Vice President of the Illinois Prairie Pastel Society, an active member of the Illinois Art League, and an instructor at the McLean County Arts Center. She is also a past president of the Pastel Society of NC. Her work is in numerous private collections throughout the country and abroad. To learn more about Mandy’s work, please contact her with any questions.
· 2021: Awarded Second Place for “Color at Play” by Judge Doug Johnson (Illinois Prairie Pastel Society member show, Springfield Art Association, Springfield, IL)
· 2020: Best of Show for “Bend in the Road,” Illinois Art League Annual Exhibition (Peoria, IL)
· 2020: Best of Show, Virtual Sugar Creek Arts Festival (Normal, IL)
· 2020: Awarded two Honorable Mentions for “Invigorating Surge” and “Serenità Toscana” by Judge Aaron Schuerr (Illinois Prairie Pastel Society member show, Springfield Art Association, Springfield, IL)
· 2020: 21st Annual Pastel 100 Competition, Pastel Journal Magazine, Honorable Mention in Animal and Wildlife Category for “Snoozin’” by Juror Yael Maimon
· 2019: Second Place Fine Art, Sugar Creek Arts Festival (Normal, IL)
· 2019: Awarded Second Place for “Tidal Dance” by Judge Nancy King Mertz (Illinois Prairie Pastel Society member show, Springfield Art Association, Springfield, IL)
· 2019: Awarded an Honorable Mention for “July in the Country” (Illinois Art League member show, Time Gallery, Peoria, IL)
· 2016: Awarded an Honorable Mention for “Heartland Horizon” by Judge Liz Haywood Sullivan (Illinois Prairie Pastel Society 10th Anniversary show, Springfield Art Association, Springfield, IL)